Tip: Green accent color for Glyphs

In Big Sur, applications can have an accent color to match the branding of the app: Notes is yellow, Music is red, Podcasts is purple, etc. Glyphs is using the standard blue color. The following line changes that to green:

defaults write com.GeorgSeifert.Glyphs3 AppleAccentColor 3

Relaunch Glyphs to see the effect. If you don’t like it, you can revert back by running this line:

defaults delete com.GeorgSeifert.Glyphs3 AppleAccentColor

This is what green Glyphs looks like:

1 Like

Looks amazing. Thanks for the tip, I’ve done that too!

Glyphs doesn’t seem to use the standard blue color, but instead “just” follows whatever your system accent color is. So you could also change that. I guess then all the controls have the same chosen color.

I didn’t look into this, but the defaults command seems to overwrite the system settings. I saw in the Big Sur announcements that an app even can define its own accent color. Didn’t like to overwrite the users choice.

The leftmost accent color (the rainbow) is the default accent color when setting up a new machine. It allows each app to express its own color or use blue by default.

I know :wink:

There is a cascade of preferences:

• If the rainbow accent color is selected, then the color can vary from app to app.
    • If the app does not specify its own accent color, it’s blue.
      • user defaults can be used (as in the code above) to still force a specific color, if only from a predefined set of system colors (no custom RGB)
    • If the app does specify an accent color, then it can pick any NSColor it wants
  • If an accent color different from the rainbow is selected, no app gets to use its own color; the user forces a system wide accent color.
    • user defaults can still be used to change specific apps, so a green Glyphs can still life in an all pink world

This looks nice:
Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 17.41.41

1 Like

Indeed! File format version alerts never looked better.

But doesn’t change everything, like selected glyphs in Font view, or selected Masters and vertical metrics labels in Masters tab of Font Info.

The highlight color is separate from the accent color. You can choose a custom highlight color for all applications in system preferences:

You can use the same trick as above to change the highlight color of just Glyphs:

defaults write com.GeorgSeifert.Glyphs3 AppleHighlightColor "0.34 0.74 0.4 Green"

Here, you can specify the red/green/blue components of the color, each in the range [0, 1]. Again, if you don’t like it you can undo the highlight color change like so:

defaults delete com.GeorgSeifert.Glyphs3 AppleHighlightColor

(If Glyphs specifies a custom accent color in a future version then that would also affect the highlight color.)

Preview:

1 Like

How do I get the Categories, etc. in Green?
Do I have to insert Code somewhere and if so how do I do that?

It appears you are using Glyphs 2. Glyphs 2 does not draw colorful icons in the sidebar, so changing the color has no effect.

Dammit!

Well, there is a simple solution.

Haha, good one! You had me tricked :wink: