Too many inflections?

Is that a reason to prevent export a variable font? I don’t think my outlines are too problematic, but maybe you can tell me what’s going on.

Variable fonts contain TrueType curve. The conversion if segments with inflections are difficult. Can you show the outlines of the “W”?

If the ShowAngledHandles plug-in gives you many laser beams, that would be an indicator.

I could imagine so. It does have those. Thank you, I could tweak the curves to make it work. It’s a very fluent design with rather crazy beziers. But nothing is impossible :smiley:

I also got this error while attempting to export NotoSans-MM.glyphs into a variable font.
Glyph “uni2C73” (and possibly more) is affected by this error message.
I don’t remember if this ever worked in the past. I wonder, has the quadratic conversion algorithm changed in some recent Glyphs.app version?

FWIW, the cu2qu algorithm doesn’t have problems converting curves with inflections

Maybe some Glyphs.app filter that converts curves compatibly using cu2qu could be nice to have.

To have more than one inflection is almost always an error. And in the Noto file it most certainly is. There is a path with overlapping handles. Of course, this particular path could be converted to TrueType, but others probably not.

Edit: I relaxed the error a bit. So the outlines of the NonoSans are exporting now. The outlines need some cleanup (The ink trapes are quite bumpy, and the outline in the first master is shifted down by one unit.)