TT instructions: Some detail questions

Hello, I have a few questions:

• What is the difference between a Shift Points instruction and a Stem Hint that is set to “no Stem”?

• What exactly does “auto” do when set for a Stem Hint? I suppose the auto-ness takes place in Glyphs, not in the TTF? What does Glyphs do automatically and how exactly?
    The handbook says “Auto: The hint will use the closest stem as defined in the ‘TTFStems’ parameter” – that is not true. I often have cases when switching between “auto” and the stem (only one stem defined) creates very different rendering results.

• The handbook says that the hint order is significant but it seems there is no way to inspect or control the order? If it’s a case of “Don’t worry, Glyphs will handle this for you” then the handbook should say so.

• The handbook mentions the “Interpolate Untouched Points instruction”. Is it possible to control/customize this instruction? If not then this should be clarified, or left away entirely.

• Why does TT-Autohint add snap instructions set to “No Rounding” whereas if I select a node and press A they are set to “Round” by default? Also, The handbook says, “Snap instructions (shortcut A) round the position of previously untouched points to the nearest pixel edge.” – which is a bit misleading if you don’t read on.

• In many cases, such as the n shown in the handbook, I can achieve the same effect by setting a Shift Instruction (starting at a snapped point) or, instead, another Snap instruction on the other leg. Which option is better and why?

And a few requests/nags:

• Sometimes I can set a Delta via Shift-Cursor, which is very convenient but sometimes it does not work. In Glyphs 2 it always works, also without Shift. This is how it should be.

• In Glyphs 2, it is possible to see the amount of a delta (between -8/8 and +8/8), although it is a bit cumbersome to display. In Glyphs 3, it seems to be virtually impossible to see this information. I am referring to deltas that set only a fraction of a pixel. Can I ask that the amount (for the active size) is simply always shown (as a little text label next to the Delta icon)?

• It would be extremely convenient if I could switch to a different current size by double-clicking on the pixel preview on the right (AFAIR this is how it worked in FL).

• I’d like to be able to hide the pixel preview under the outline (the context menu command only allows to hide the distorted outline, not the pixel preview). [Edit: There seems to be a funny bug. It does hide the pixel preview but not for the glyph that was active while I used the command.]

• The handbook says, “Delta instructions (shortcut E) move a point up or down by exactly one pixel” – seems wrong and may be misleading for newbies.

Thanks!

There is a small difference. The “Stem” has the “keep distance greater than or equal to minimum distance” bit set, the “Shift” doesn’t.

It will use the closes stem and applying the filters.

The order is not important. Then we need to adjust the handbook.

this instruction is alway added after all instructions, once per direction.

The default rounding should only matter if it is not attached to a zone. As the zones are rounded in the prep table already.

Having an Align and a shift saves one byte.

I’ll check that.

Each “delta icon” can contain dozens of deltas (for multiple sizes and instances). But I could show the value for the current size/instance setup. And I should be able to improve the display of the delta table (showing the numbers instead of the arrows).

I’ll see what I can do.

That is fixed for the next bigger update.

Right.