TTF font with PUA icon glyphs not rendering on Kindle

I’m currently working on a font that incorporates a number of icon glyphs in the unicode PUA. I have a version of the font previously exported from FontLab which worked fine on the Kindle, but it seems there’s some small difference in the font which prevents the Kindle epub (mobi) reader from rendering it.

The Glyphs exported font works just find in iBooks, browsers, Prince/PDF, etc. There just seems to be an issue with Glyphs exported font and the Kindle. I’d REALLY prefer to NOT have to go back to FontLab if it all possible.

I’ve tried adding the missing glyphs and parameters (i.e: NULL, uni000D, glyphOrder, etc) that FontLab automatically adds to my Glyphs font info to no avail.

I’ve uploaded versions of the FontLab and Glyphs export as well as the Glyphs file I’m currently working with to [link removed] if you care to take a look.

Any insight greatly appreciated.

How do you test the font on the Kindle?

You can compare the font files with DTL OTMaster Light.

After spending hours comparing various TTF font properties and exports I decided to once again check the HTML and CSS that was being used to include the font stylesheet.

It was/is perfectly valid:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="assets/styles/default.css" />

…and of course Kindlegen wasn’t reporting any issues. However I decided to try specifying the type attribute (not supposed to be required any longer) just to see if that made any difference:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="assets/styles/default.css" />

…and now everything is working perfectly.

Turns out the Kindle eBook (mobi) format requires the type=“text/css” attribute to be specified for rel=“stylesheet” links.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the PUA icon fonts exported as a TTF from Glyphs, and I don’t ever have to open FontLab again! :smile:

Hopefully this thread might prove handy should any other poor soul ever experiences font problems when converting epubs to the Kindle mobi format.

1 Like