TTF fonts files in 2023 with Adobe

Dear Glyphs community,

I’m new in this forum. I looking for new software for create my fonts and I’m interested about Glyphs. But, I’ve some questions :

• As Adobe will discontinue to use TTF files in 2023, in what format should I save / use my fonts to continue using them on Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign (and the internet) ? There are too fonts that I created myself and others that I purchased.

• In the website GlyphsApp, I saw a interessant tutorial “Create a Font Variable”, is this only possible with Glyphs 3 ? I created a font and I wish develop in different styles (light - medium - bold…).

Many thanks.

Where did you read that Adobe is stopping to support TrueType fonts? They are about to discontinue old Mac fonts. But modern TrueType/OpenType fonts are quite different from those early Mac TrueType fonts. So you can safely create new ones.

And you need Glyphs 3 (in comparison to Glyphs Mini I suppose?) to create multiple master or variable fonts.

I mean that Adobe will stopping to support PostScript Type 1 fonts in 2023.

In my police library, there are various files of fonts : TrueType, OpenType (sometime TrueType and OpenType in same time), files with extension suit… but I can’t look which font are in which format. When I open InDesign, under Characters window, I can look which fonts going supported by Adobe (per InDesign) or don’t going supported in 2023.

Do I must use similar fonts from Adobe Fonts or other alternative for continue to work in my files ?

And yes, I wish use Glyphs 3 for playing with multiple master with a font that I created. In Glyphs 3, is better to save files under OTF instead of TTF ?

You can check the font type in Indesign > Type > Find and replace fonts (not sure what the actual menu name is, my Indesign is in German right now.

If you have some PostScript Type 1 fonts, you can use your free converter to convert them to Opentype: https://updates.glyphsapp.com/GlyphsConverter/GlyphsConverter1.0-3.zip

That depends what you need. But if you are asking that question, you probably should export as OpenType (CFF).

1 Like

Adobe says Type 1, which is (if I’m not mistaken) a dinosaur format you hardly find anywhere, less so can export one yourself with modern type design software. It is not the TTF you export from Glyphs.

By the way, you can (or at least could) also see font type in fontbook

I guess without explicitly stating this, people might get misled by this topic.

I know a several people and complies (e.g. publishers) that have font libraries and more importantly a lot documents using those old fonts. They worked and printed fine for 20 years until now. And now they have a lot hassle to being able use those file.

2 Likes