Tutorial for adding glyphs to a glyph

Hello there
I am new to Glyphs (but not new to Fontdesign – I have used Fontographer as well als FontStudio Pro for years) and I am having a problem with adding other glyphs to one basic glyph. I did, however, follow the information / tutorial here on the page cloesly, but to no avail.
The glyphs appear in InDesign (Mac) in the Glyphs window, but neither their Unicode appears in InDesign nor are they connected to the letter they are supposed to (in this particular case I needed to put another glyph to the capital »O« – since that is part of the logo of the company I am working on and was supposed to be in that font.
I did create a new glyphe and made sure I have the info set right (I hope) but it didn’t change anything.
On the PC outside of the Adode CC Apps, I can’t see that glyph at all, it does not appear in the »Zeichentabelle« (character map) and in no other win app.
Can anybody point me to a sollution here?
I am still working on the test-version, since this job was meant to be the proov of concept to purchase Glyphs.
Thanks in advance,
Hanspeter

You mean adding a glyph to an existing font?

Sounds like a font conflict. How are you installing the font, and how are you making sure that not both old and new versions are installed at the same time?

Read these two tutorials please:

Thank you for the quick answer! I will try to install the font via the adobe library tomorrow, but restarting the Mac did not change anything. And I would guess that – if I cannot see the glyphs on a PC at all, only in InDesign but without the correct mapping, it should not have anything to do with the cache, should it?
I did uninstall the font before installing the new version, as I had that issue before – as I said, I am not new to font design – however, the basic problem persisted.
The latest versions of the font now shows the correct unicode on most of the glyphs, but that one particular glyph that is supposed to be changeable does get exported but obviously loses its unicode value on export.
As I said, I will check on that tomorrow, the day has gotten long.
Again, thanks for your help.

How do you verify the glyph is not associated to a Unicode?

Unicodes of glyphs are determined by the name unless you enabled custom naming in file > font info > other.

Can you be more specific please? What exactly did you do? Did you work on an existing OTF that was installed before?

No, the font has never been installed before. I did however try the Test-Install feature the first time I exported the finished font. As I mentioned before, though, I did all the steps mentioned in the tutorial »Eliminating font cache problems«.
The unicodes are displayed in InDesign in th »Glyphs« palette once you click on a letter, That is how I checked. While the business-unit icons that are part of the font did now show the unicode I assined to them, that part seems to work, but the one letter that needs to be changeable displays the cunicode »0000«.
I might not really understand the issues with the unicode convertions, admittedly, that’s why I was asking if there is a comprehensible tutorial for that available.
To explain what I need to do, here is a more thorough description:
The company I am doing this font for wants the font for their headlines and displays. In their Logo (actually more of a Wortmarke) they use a special icon for the capital »O« and I wanted to give the users that work with that font in Word or PowerPoint the abillity to choose between the regular capital »O« and the custom one. I believe I followed the directions on this site to propperly asign the icon to the »O«, but as stated it does not work.
It does show in InDesign as I mentioned, but only in the Glyphs palette, but not as an alternative to the »O«, only as another glyphe.

Can you send me the .glyphs file? Per DM best. Or to support (at) (this website without ‘www’ or ‘forum’). I will have a look.

1 Like

Looks like Hanspeter mean the Stylistic Alternate version of O.
Perhaps that glyph has incorrect name. And perhaps it should be added to the feature.

You are absolutely right! Somehow my achy breaky brain forgot to use the correct name, I am trying to get a stylistic atlernative for the O. Thank you. :slight_smile:

Hi!
Here is the tutorial: Stylistic sets | Glyphs

1. Name your alternate glyph like O.ss01. The last two digits is a number of Stylistic Set.
  2. Open Font Info → Features → click the + icon, and add the Stylistic Set with the same name like ss01. It should be automatically filled with required substitution.
  3. Also you can add aalt feature to let the font users manually select an alternate version of your letters in the graphic editors.
  4. On the same window, click the Compile button on the left bottom corner.
1 Like

Useful tips for reverse-engineering an existing font:

Thanks a lot! That did help. I had forgotten to add a stylistic set in the Font Info. With your help the »O« now has an alternative style (at least in the CC Apps).

1 Like