Undo is working slowly with multiple masters

I’ve noticed that after udating to macOS Sierra the Undo and Redo are very slow. It takes couple of seconds to wait every time I hit cmd z.

I’ve updated my Glyphs to Version 2.4b (931) but it still doesn’t work properly.

This doesn’t occur in single weight font.

Can you make a screencast and send me the .glyphs file (to support at this domain)?

Out of curiosity, is there a limit for the number of undos an open file might have?

I’m basically cleaning up the results of some filters right now and I’ve noticed Undo and Redo become slow over time. When I open the file they are instant. After a couple of hours working on it, Undo and Redo will take 1-2 seconds. Could this be caused by the number of edits?

The macOS undomanager is a bit opaque, so i can’t tell you whats happing. You could do a spindump (in Activity Monitor). That might shed some light on whats going on.

Alright, I’ve done a couple of spindumps: one when undo was slow and another one right after launching Glyphs. I can see there is something going on, but I have no clue what any of these means. If it helps, here are the complete spindumps: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8917740/Spindumps%20Undo.zip

Was there ever a fix to this? My undo is going terribly slow as well.

I didn’t find anything. And it is really difficult to debug as I would need to work for some hours.

Could you send the spindumps again? I need to know what exact Glyphs version you have.

Here they are: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZuGDV7Z8qyPteoFw8X9Jmd5O6LDv583Jqy0

Back then I was working on the layers for my Rocher typeface, which I generated with scripts and had to perform some manual cleaning up afterwards. This workflow produced a lot of undo steps.

Nowadays my Glyphs usage is much lighter, so I haven’t experienced lags for a while.

Thanks for the file. It is not really clear to me what takes so long. The undo itself is just 3.5% from everything that is going on. Something else is going on. I see if I can figure it out.

Hi Georg, I’m new to Glyphs (have come over from FontLab) and I am experiencing the same undo lag. 2-3 seconds every time Undo is pressed. Any progress on this? I’m on iMac using High Sierra 10.13.2 and Glyphs 2.4.4 (1075).

Perhaps it is already fixed. Can you try the latest cutting edge version? (Activate the two checkboxes in Preferences > Updates and push the Update button.)

Thanks Rainer I will try that

If it’s still happening: What operation did you do that you like to undo. And what did you do before that. If you can reproduce slow undo of a certain operation on a newly opened file, I would be very happy to have a look.