Update Glyphs python to version 3.11

I just updated the Glyphs python. It would be good if someone could test this.

Install the GlyphsPython though the plugin manager. Then go to the Repositories/GlyphsPythonPlugin folder and switch the repo to the py311 branch. Then restart Glyphs, check Addons > Python version (it should say “3.11.2 (Glyphs)”) and eventually restart again.

Something new in the update process? I don’t know how to do that.

I did try to update, three times, and every time I end up with 3.9.

The update is basically the same setup, just with the newer python and pyobjc.

You need to switch the branch of the repo. you can do that by dragging the “GlyphsPythonPlugin” folder into an Git app (like the GitHub app or Tower) and use the GUI, or use the command line, whatever you prefer.

Those instructions seem to be for developers, not an average user. I have not had to use github to update Plugins/Scripts in years.

This is a beta test for people testing their plugins. So not for you.

1 Like

Hi Georg,
this is messing up everything!

While G3240 and the newer Python works (apart from many plugins!), my copy of G3151 (that I need to keep for client work) does not work properly any longer.

Of course, I can change the Python version. But then PyObjC is missing and many other things too. Plugins and scripts still don’t work.

When reopening 3240 I have to change the Python version again, which is very bothersome.
Would it be possible to keep it as it used to be: Make it possible to keep multiple Glyphs versions that all work?

Thank you,
Christoph

1 Like

Glyphs 3.1.x does not support Python 3.11, but Glyphs 3.2 supports lower Python versions. So just pick the Python that works for 3.1.x, and you’re good.

Thank you, Rainer!
The problem is I can only choose from two versions. While the new Glyphs Python causes the problems described, the other one also seems to be higher than what was there before? Or much stuff is missing? PyObjC? Vanilla?!
At least plugins and scripts don’t work.

If you have python 3.10 installed, pick that in Glyphs 3.1.

The Python·org versions never update automatically, so you seem to have installed that version at some point.

When you are picking a Python version you haven’t used with Glyphs before, you need to install some modules to make most stuff work. I’d at least do

pip3.10 install --user -U fonttools brotli zopfli vanilla pyobjc

… and other stuff when any plugins compain at launch.

2 Likes

Thank you, Jens! That’s what I did in the meantime (I wasn’t noticed that there were new replies)

I still don’t know if it’s a good idea to update to a newer Python version in just a very late release candidate version. Manymany things don’t work any more …

What exactly did you do?
What version of Glyphs and python is this? If you use the latest version of Glyphs and Glyphs Python, hit Ignore and restart Glyphs.

I updated to the latest version of Glyphs and Glyphs Python. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Sometimes, the Python update fails. In this case, remove the Glyphs Python from Plugin Manager > Modules and re-install it. What a bit after it tells you it has finished. Then restart Glyphs. Now it should work again.

It does indeed. Many thanks, Georg! :heart_hands: