URGENT! Kerning Lost Its Mind

Maybe the other fonts have an old keen table instead of kern feature? Older apps sometimes only support those. But OpenOffice should support modern kerning. Did you click the update button in the feature tab in font info?

I investigated the issue, OpenOffice does not GPOS, a dev issue has been open since 2004, I could not get any font to show kerning, including old-style kern tables. Ironically it has a kerning option, which does something else, but not enable kerning.

Pixelmator: same thing, I sent an e-mail to their support. I do not have access to Silhouette.

The font works fine in any app that uses CoreText properly. Tested in Pages, Keynote, TextEdit, etc.

Update! (I had twins so my fonts took a seat way on the back of my to-do list).
I finished my font and included lowercase characters. I purchased Glyphs Mini and it does not have the option to export as ttf. :frowning: I think I’m as done as I’m ever going to be, but kerning still doesn’t work in Silhouette and I’m a little frustrated that I can’t get an otf and ttf version of my font. Any ideas how to get kerning to work and how to get a ttf version? Previously I was using the trial of Glyphs and it let me export as either file type. Thanks!

That is because the software’s text engine is either very outdated or buggy. If it is outdated, you can try exporting with an ‘old-style kern table’. But because this is an outdated way of implementing kerning, you will lose group kerning and you will have to reduce the amount of kerning pairs. IIRC, you had many in the .glyphs file.

I recommend you delete all kerning, improve the spacing as much as possible, then re-kern only where necessary, and then you can use the legacy kern table. But for this you need Glyphs, nit Glyphs Mini.

Or, consider an alternative to Silhouette Studio.

Mini exports WOFF and OTF. Glyphs exports more formats. There are online converters, but I do not know if they do a good job or not.

I have to use Silhouette Studio for my Silhouette cutter and I’m hoping to share my font with other crafters who also use that program.
I individually kerned each letter and didn’t use groups (as far as I’m aware…). I’m not sure how to improve spacing other than with kerning. It took me forever to kern everything just right so I really don’t want to delete it all.

I just want to be done with this font and walk away from font design forever. As such, I don’t want to purchase Glyphs just to export as TTF. I’ll try a converter.

Thank you so much for all your help! I dabble in design just for fun and have no formal training. This has definitely been a struggle, but I’m determined to see it through to completion.