Variable Font breaks Spacing on export (problems variate from software to software)

bug

When exporting a variable font with three axes it shows different spacing problems on seemingly random character pairings. In the Glyphs file the Spacing and Kerning of the Characters is the same.
Screenshot 1: Light
Screenshot 2: Bold (There is no “Space” between “T” and “e” or elsewhere…)

Is there any known solution for this problem?
Thanks in advance!

Is this happening with glyphs made from components? I just yesterday found a problem with spacing and components. But is seems to be a problem with the format and not with the way the file is written by Glyphs. I need to investigate this.

Hello Georg, No there are no components (except akzents – but that doesn’t seem to be the problem here.
The strange thing is that the problem varies from application to application (e.g… Illustrator, Axis Praxis)

Illustrator has serious problems with variable fonts. Specifically with the variation of the width.

Can you send me the .glyphs and the .ttf file?

Yes I send you the file via mail!
Thanks for looking in to it

That is a problem with the components (in accented letters). I reported it but didn’t hear back from them.

Hello Georg, Did you find a solution for the problem yet? I am updated to the newest version of glyphs. The Spacing of Characters build with components is still messed up in online-applications (Axis-Praxis). It is working in illustrator… (Screenshots)

Thanks for looking into it! I can send you the glyphs-file if you want?

All the Best,
Elias

This is a bug in MacOS. Adding an HVAR table might reduce the problem but the proper fix has to come from Apple.

Thanks!

Hi @GeorgSeifert

How can this HVAR table be inserted? Is there a manual that you can follow?

@Erkin @GeorgSeifert I‘d be interested to know this as well!

I need to add support for HVAR in Glyphs. I’ll see if I find some time for it, soon.