Variable font export naming issue

Hello everyone :wave:t2:

I have a problem with exporting variable font files. When I export fonts as single instances, the naming is completely correct: Light, Regular, Medium, Semi-Bold, Bold.

Once I export the font as a variable .ttf, the Light weight is also named Regular. I have no idea why. In Glyphs, the style name and weight is correct. I attach two screenshots (They are in German, so Light means “Leicht”).

Thanks for your help, guys :blush:.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-27 um 17.19.47

Can you show you masters setup?

Yeah, for sure.

In which app did you take the font menu screenshots?

Ah, sorry: It is taken from the standard mac os “font book app”.

Apple font menus always prioritize the regular style and will list it first, no matter what. Not sure what happened to the Light style though. Which macOS version are you running?

Some people have told me that it is also a problem on Windows, but I don’t have a Windows PC to check it. I use macOS Big Sur 11.2.2 - but it was also a problem before with other OS versions. I have had this problem since it is possible to export variable otfs in Glyphs.

Can you please send me the .glyphs file to support (at) (this website without www). I will have a look.

I have the same issue.

1 Like

Since then – I still can’t get rid of this issue. And it is not connected to this specific glyphs file. It constantly occurres in every font I ever exported :man_shrugging:

I just tried it (with Glyphs 3.2) and it seems to work:
Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-03 um 17.04.13

This is macOS Monterey.

In my case, in the latest OSX Version, Sonoma 14 and the latest Glyphs Version, the standard FontBook app does not show the Light font at all, but just shows all fonts above Light :dotted_line_face:

Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-03 um 17.37.21