Variable Font with Extrapolation

Hello there!

I’m working on a variable font with two masters (regular and bold). If I add some instances (light and black) by extrapolation it works properly in Glyphs, the additional weights are displayed.

But, I can’t use the extrapolated weights in Illustrator. They are shown in the font menu but the light weight is displayed exactly like the regular style and the same with black and bold. If I check the axis only the values from regular to bold are shown.

Do I have to define light and black as masters, too? What would you recommend? And how can I bring the extrapolated forms to a new master?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Variable fonts can’t extrapolate. Glyphs should warn about that when it finds instances that do.

So I have to define the instances as masters? I tried that and it seems to work.

1 Like

Yes that’s a possibility.

1 Like

Just adding the masters might work but will generate not optimal files.
You might what to remove the previous master. But That depends on the design.

I’m working on this with some students of mine and I think it’s the easiest way for the moment. But of course I’d check if the projects were more extensive. Thanks for your great support!

Hi, regarding the warning, it doesn’t show up when exporting a variable font (build 1286). Is there any prospect of variable fonts being able to range to extrapolated instances in the future?

The variable font format doesn’t allow extrapolation.

Hello Sebastian
Even if it’s not recommended, you can make an additional master from the extrapolated instance. This works at least to fix your problem, right? Of course the better way is to arrange the font from the beginning with the correct masters.