Want to create an all in Squares Wing Ding Font

Help, Please . . I just purchased Glyph 3. I need to create a Wing Ding/symbol/picture Font of all square shaped characters/images (images enclosed/encompassing in a squara area), for a project.

I want them all to be the same size and to encumpass the full area, not start at the baseline. I think I want them to go (vertically) from the " decender line" to the “Ascender line” (I think that’s what they are called, from the very top to the very bottom) and I want the width to be the same as the height. (reason: I want to be able to past the character images into a table in a on a form fill pdf and I want the images to take up an entire cell in the table).

I’ve already created all or most of the images that I will need, as SVG files, in Affinity Desgner. and I am able to paste them into Glyphs just fine (first step, check).

I’ve come up against a few sticking point, though, stemming from the fact that I don’t know what the heck I’m doing.

I can’t figure how to set up the font creation template that I will paste the images into (that probably the big one). Do I select symbol or latin letter (or something else) when I create the project. I want for the end product to work for mac os and windows for sure and hopefully also chrome/ISO/Android/linux, etc (be universal or at least close to). Is there a way to customize this for my purposes of making square things encompass the whole square area (don’t start at baseline above).

Also, how to reposition and possibly resize the images that I paste into Glyph 3, without changing the proportions.

And then how do I test to see if what I’m doing is what I want? Export and Install? (how) Some other way, to test out a few samples, without having to export and install?

Also, I think there is something about naming the characters.

Is there a beginners tutorial that you could suggest that might help me, with some of these sorts of questions? I’m not tackling learning the drawing aspect of using Glyphs 3, at least at the moment, so I’m kind of looking for something on the basics of using Glyphs, other than the actual drawing parts. ( &/or answers to the specific questions that posed, if that’s less trouble, pretty please).

This might help: Importing from Illustrator | Glyphs

Can you post a screenshot of one of the glyphs in edit mode that I can see what you are doing?

When testing: Eliminating font cache problems | Glyphs and Testing your fonts in Adobe apps | Glyphs

Or drag the font into a testing page like https://fontgauntlet.com or https://www.axis-praxis.org

Thank you, the article was very helpful. It sort of confirmed that I need to resize the Affinity Designer SVG files, to the correct size, before I paste them into Glyphs 3 (I think I’m close on knowing the exact size). I’m going to try to avoid having to learn all the fancy stuff with scripts and all.

Is there a way to move the image up, without changing its portions? I’ve been doing select all and then moving images around vertically, in Glyphs by holding down the shift key to try to keep the proportions the same and resizing and thereby moving diagonally, but that’s not ideal. There is a “Hand” tool, but I can’t seem to get it to do what I’m hoping for (maybe it’s for something other than what I’m trying to use it for, or maybe there’s something else I need to do to make it work).

Since my use case is kind of specific, I would like to export and install a working version font, temporarily, just as it is, with just a few characters completed, and see how it works, for my purposes, on my computer, before I put a lot of work into something that might need to be modified before it does what I want it to do. How do I do that (and would there be any long term downside to installing a test version and then uninstalling it)?

Make sure to read this: Eliminating font cache problems | Glyphs
and Testing your fonts in Adobe apps | Glyphs

What keeps you from scaling or moving?