When to expect a new stable version?

Currently 3151 is the latest stable version, and I think it is quite a long time (in software terms, and especially in Glyphs-speed-terms) since it has been released.

The more I am confused to see the “This is a release candidate. We do not expect many more changes to the final release.” phrase in every single cutting-edge-changelogs since what (it feels like a year?)

Do you consider to have a new release candidate in the near future? This mentioned phrase starts to feel really missleading, when it is just written over every changelog.

I write this from the perspective of a tool developer, who does a lot of customer support and has to keep up with both – old and new versions of Glyphs – running on user’s machines. In order to make tools future proof, I have to make compromises and cannot keep the tools working in old Glyphs versions sometimes.

Since the 3151 is out for long, the range of Glyphs versions I have to keep track of grows and makes the development work harder for me.

(A recent example is a Plugin Crash that happens with 3151 : Symbol not found: (_GSUpdateInterface), which is bollocks, as it works in other Glyphs versions just perfectly fine.)

We are working on the final release of 3.2. Some small issue here and there and change-log and blog post (the later ones are the bigger task).
GSUpdateInterface as a constant was added in 3.2, so it is no surprise that it crashes in 3.1. You needed to use @"GSUpdateInterface" before.

3 Likes

Thank you so much. I can work with that :slight_smile:

GA keeps crashing when I try to open it by opening a file. I’ve filed crash reports.

3.2 (3227) on macOS Big Sur 11.6.1 (20G224)

that crash is caused be the ItalicExtremes plugin. It was not updated in a while (I did send some pull requests but they were never accepted). I changed the path to the plugin to point at my repo. So removing and re-installing should give you a more stable version.

2 Likes

@oneweioranother did that help or are there more plugins causing crashes?
I will push some updates to my plugins today that add the fix, Georg just showed above.

Yep! Crash hasn’t happened again so far

1 Like

Do you know which build number exactly?

Or shall i check for the versionString 3.2?

Lastly, how could I properly add a check in obj-c? My problem is, that even if I successfully check the glyphs version, I still cannot use the constant GSUpdateInterface for versions higher or equal to 3.2, because older versions still cannot find the symbol:

NSString *versionString = [(GSApplication *)NSApp versionString];
	if ([versionString floatValue] < [@"3.2" floatValue]) {
		return @"GSUpdateInterface";
	} else {
		return GSUpdateInterface;
	}

It looks like i would load the symbol dynamically. But that is a lot of overhead. Instead I could just go for the string @"GSUpdateInterface" in any case. But then in the future I will always have that string sticking around in my code instead of using the constant. How do you deal with such changes to the core?

PS: also not sure if checking the version like this is valid. It works in this case, but does not look right. (I used intValue for the buildNumber before, which is ok)

should be all 3.2 versions.

You can’t really check this without some linker trickery. So just use the string until you stop supporting 3.1.

1 Like

I would define my own constant and set that to @"GSUpdateInterface" with a note that stating with 3.2 GSUpdateInterface could be used instead. Then, I use my own constant for as long as needed and replace it by the Glyphs-provided constant once I am ready to drop support for older systems.

1 Like

Thank you both. That’s how I’ll roll.
Updates are out now, crash reports might be less :crossed_fingers:

Hi all, I’m curious if there’s any news about the release date for the next stable version of Glyphs. I rely on exporting fonts from Glyphs, so I’m a bit hesitant to switch to the cutting-edge version. However, there are so many nice features available only in the cutting edge.

Soon. Exact dates are difficult to predict. But nothing keeps you from using the beta (works better than 3.1 already).

To be fair, it is always recommended (by you Glyphs people) to not use cutting edge versions for production work. Usually here in the forums or between the lines.

And secondly, it seems many people don’t know about the betas. The “show cutting edge versions” checkbox is there, but from my email support experience I see that many users don’t know about that. Even when I tell them to activate it (and I see Georg writes this here in the forum at least once a day), they say, “Glyphs was sure I have the latest version”.

So about that, I wonder if you could make that beta info a little more prominent. For example when checking for updates, show a note that this is the latest stable, but that there are newer betas out there and that they can activate that setting to show them the cutting edges when checking.

What I was a little unhappy about is that the change log claims since veeery long, that you don’t expect much more changes (the first headline). I find this misleading. Just remove that line and it adds for more inner peace when following the changelog of the 3.2 versions which dates back one year by today :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Usually, the cutting-edge/beta version is not intended for a broad user base, which is why it’s fine that many users are not aware of that option.

Glyphs 3.2 is the exception. It should have been released long ago, hence the note at the top of its change log staying relevant for longer than what would be appropriate for such a message.

If all goes well now, Glyphs 3.2 will be released soon. Any future updates will be released with much shorter lead-up times, reducing the need for most users to know about the cutting-edge version.

Sounds good to me. I get that this was a rather exceptional case. Would indeed make more sense for a shorter period. Maybe less milestones per minor version.

In my opinion, TrueType hinting has only gotten worse after the last stable version.

Glyphs 3.1.2 also has some serious bugs in regard to TrueType hinting (deltas are active at the wrong pixel size), but I can work around that with scripting.

The current cutting edge versions can not be used for production-quality TrueType work. I’d much prefer if the TrueType code was reverted to the status of 3.1.2.

1 Like

Have you tried in the last month or so? I think I fixed a bunch of things. And it should be rendering with smoother overshoots. That was supposed to happen already but didn’t work. So this is fixed now. But it needs explicitly set snap point on shapes with overshoot to be set to not round (or removed altogether if there is a stem on the same point). If you like to keep the behavior as it was before (strong rounding of the overshoots), you need rounded snap points.

Maybe offtopic a bit, but this is the latest plugins bug report after installing 3248:

Please refer to this thread: All plugins crashed: SyntaxError: invalid decimal literal

1 Like