Why is my Smart Components Menu Different than Tutorial?

Hello,

I am trying to learn how to use Smart Components in Glyphs 3 using this tutorial however when I get to the point where I set up the Smart Glyph settings, the Layers tab in my dialogue looks different from the one pictured in the tutorials. I am unable to assign properties to my layers and even further, I know there is a slider that I should eventually be able to use to adjust these components, but my choice is only to check two boxes next to my layers, not set the values.

Here is the side by side comparison of the dialogue box that I am having issues with:

And here is a screenshot of my settings in the other tab so you can check if I’m causing the issue there:

Please let me know if you need more context, thank you!

The screenshots in the tutorial are from a previous version of Glyphs. Now the Smart Glyph window has changed slightly. However, most of the concepts still hold true for the current Glyphs version.

We are in the process of updating all of our tutorials to reflect the latest version. In the meantime, you can have a look at the Glyphs Handbook which was already updated and shows screenshots for the latest Glyphs version. Smart Components are described starting at page 133:

the new design lacks of some words “mini’” and “max”. it would be helpful to have them shown, especially for new users.