Why so many problems with undo?

I am constantly plagued by the vague: there is a problem with undo, which always seems to happen just when I need it to remember. of all the other software I use, I have never been told this, it is only Glyphs that has the unreliable memory.

1 Like

Glyphs has a much more complex undo system. That is because there are separate undo histories per glyph.

And in most cases this is caused by plugins is scripts.
It would be very helpful if you could be able to reproduce this. Meaning you open a new file, do some steps and then tigger that error.

Well I have one perfectly reproducible issue with undo actually! You can go ahead and open the feature panel, write some code… and I dare you to hit undo. At least for me, it will always crash Glyphs. Thankfully I’ve never lost work because the recovery system is good. But it does crash every time you try to undo code. Does this happen to anyone else?

I would like to help, but my experience is inconsistent. I only notice it has happened when it has happened

@Polidelico Can you try editing/undoing features in the latest cutting edge version?

I have Glyphs 3 up to date. After working a bit on a project (and probably charging the memory) the feature panel will cause a crash when trying to undo on that window.

What version do you have exactly?

And if it crashes the app, hit “Send” every time in the Crash Reporter dialog that comes up when you restart the app.

Version 3.1.2

Will do!

Please try the latest cutting edge version. Activate it in Preference > Updates > Show cutting edge versions.

It just happened! Sent a report.

Did you use the cutting edge version (3.2)?

I almost never use “undo” in Glyphs since I know there is a 70% probability of a crash, at least when writing features.

I think I finally understand what the problem was and fixed it. Thanks for the push in the right direction.

Edit: The udate is up.