Can the copy-paste feature of Glyphs be like this:

Can the copy-paste feature of Glyphs be like this: copy a glyph from one font and paste it into another, while also providing options for matching the target font’s metrics and other attributes? Currently, copying and pasting is too simple. Matching the target font’s properties should be done automatically.

What do you mean? If you paste a glyph that is designed to be 500 units tall, it is only logical that it will be pasted as being 500 units tall. What other attributes and font properties do you mean?

Matching the target font’s properties should be done automatically.

Yes, you said as much. What does this mean?

If the target font has a glyph height of 1000, it should automatically be matched to 1000.

You mean the UPM is different between the two fonts?

The issue then is, that scaling is required which might introduce rounding errors. So it’s generally best to paste maintaining the original coordinates and let the user decide how to scale the outlines to best match the other font.

The copy-paste function of FontCreator is very powerful, but I have to switch back and forth between two software. However, FontCreator opens its own generated UFO files very slowly, which is too troublesome.

There is a Paste Special command in Glyphs. Edit → (hold Option) Paste Special or ⌥⌘V.

Uploading: FontCreatorManual.pdf…

I believe you send the comment before the upload was done. But I can look a the manual myself if I know the page number and what part about it is relevant.

It can handle the situation where multiple glyphs have the same character when pasting. Should it preserve the glyph of the target font or replace it?

Is this not also handled by the Paste Special command in Glyphs?

This option should be provided.

Are you talking about the code point matching or is this still about the UPM?

I am discussing all the attributes that may be needed in pasting, as well as situations where multiple characters overlap.

Like I said, some of this is handled with the Paste Special command; other things might be archived using other commands, via scripting, or might make sense as new features.

Which attributes need to be maintained depends on the use case (for example, I personally would not want the outline to be scaled to a different UPM in most cases). If you have an example, I can see what would best be done in such a case.

For example, when copying A and B, and the target font already has B, there should be an option: 1. Overwrite the B of the target font when pasting, and create a new A. 2. Preserve the B of the target font when pasting, and create a new A.

When there are many glyphs to be copied and it is difficult to determine whether the target font has these characters one by one, this feature is needed.

This will replace the B in the target font with the B from the source without adding the A:

But there is no built-in feature to also/only paste glyphs that are new in the target font. That could be added.