Can't install plug-in/Python…

I am sorry to bother you guys again… I sincerely tried to fix this problem by myself before asking you some help.

Ii would like to use these 2 extensions :

https://github.com/mekkablue/System7Shadow
https://github.com/mekkablue/Shadow

So I installed them via the plugin manager, and then Glyphs told me I need to install Python.
So I did from the official website.

Now when I open the Glyphs app, a pop-up opens and says : Python installation needs this missing module : « PyObjcC » You can install « pip3 install pyobjc » in the Terminal or using the Python module from the plugin manager.

So I looked for this module in the plugin manager, but I don’t find it, and when I typed « pip3 install pyobjc » in the Terminal, it says « command not found »

:sob:
Does someone know how to find a solution ?

2 Likes

try going into preferences/addons and change the python version to the one glyphs installed. That fixed it for me.

4 Likes

YOU ARE RIGHT @kemie !
Thanks !

1 Like

Just wanted to chime in here too. I wasn’t even using the extensions you mentioned and I still got that warning every time I launched the app.

You’re right, going into Glyphs 3 preferences / addons and switching to Glyphs python made it all better. I had previously installed plugins that weren’t showing up (Red Arrows, Smart Plumblines) and now it’s all good.

Thanks, Forums :+1:

2 Likes

Just chiming in also to add a little more info for anyone else also experiencing this issue and adding a sceenshot.

Glyphs > Preferences > Addons is NOT the same as the “Plugin Manager” which is located at Window > Plugin Manager. For some reason I was getting those two things connected and confused.

1 Like

It looks like I cannot find this Python version for Glyphs, but in the Modules it’s installed.
Can anyone help?

The one you want should have Glyphs inside the parentheses instead of Python.org.

I just have one option inside the parentheses. How to have that one with Glyphs?

Restart Glyphs. Then it should be available.

i hate to keep adding to this thread, but I just installed Glyphs 3 and now the only options in Preferences>AddOns is 3.7.3 (Homebrew), no option with Glyphs in the parens, no matter how many times i restart.
Perhaps because I had versions of Python 3 and an older 2 installed on my system? But it doesnt look like glyphs installed one?

The “(Glyphs)” Python version is only available as an option if you have installed Python from the Plugin Manager. Go to Window → Plugin Manager → Modules and install Python. Relaunch Glyphs for the installation to complete. Now select the “(Glyphs)” version in the preferences and relaunch Glyphs again to load the new Python version.

thanks, i knew it was something silly I (didn’t) do, just couldn’t figure out which one. :wink:

I’m new to the forum so pardon me If I put this comment in the wrong place.

I had similar issues when installing Python. I had no option to select the python version from the Add Ons dialog window. After about 4 hours of trying various things my solution came from Uninstalling Glyphs Mini.

I uninstalled Glyphs Mini, restarted Glyphs and Python was running!

Thought this might help someone.

Glyphs Mini has nothing to do with this. There was something happening at the same time.

Hi.
I still have problem with this one.

Tried…
Restart Glyphs & Computer → No change❌
Adding (all) Python Modules →No change❌
Update to the latest MacOS →No change❌

versions
Glyphs version [3.0.4] (latest)
MacOS version [Monterey 12.2] (latest)

Sorry for the Japanese UI.
Still I can’t find a solution.
please help me.

Sometimes, the Python module does not install properly (probably a timeout problem, the connection to the server was probably not fast enough). What I do in this case:

1. Script > Open Scripts Folder
  2. Navigate to Repositories → GlyphsPythonPlugin, keep this folder open.
  3. Window > Plugin Manager > Modules: Uninstall and reinstall the Python module.
  4. Wait a little bit and watch the GlyphsPythonPlugin folder. If nothing happens, repeat 3.

You should see this in the GlyphsPythonPlugin folder:

In my experience, I usually get it after two or three rounds.

1 Like

@mekkablue
You are real genius.

It worked with that way.
thank you so much! :pray::pray::pray:
Now I can work with my new type design!:writing_hand:

1 Like

I can not get the Plug-in/Python(Glyps) to install.
In preferences / Addons I see Python version 3.10.6 (Python) - no options for Python(Glyphs).
Plug-ins manager/ Modules - there are no options - field is blank.
I open the Scripts Folder - the folder is empty - I can not see Repositories?
Maybe it hasn’t been installed - 3.1.2 (3151).

Can you send a screenshot of the Plugin Manager > Modules?