Glyphs 3 Crash in Big Sur

The crash is in the Noodler. It should be fixed by now. And Glyphs should update the plugins automatically. Start with Option+Shift or open the plugin folder (In Finder, press Command+Shift+G and paste ~/Library/Application Support/Glyphs 3/Plugins). Remove the plugin and reinstall it form the Plugin Manager.

Removed it manually, that did the trick! (Opt+Shift still didn’t work for me.) Thanks!

Then there is something else wrong. So far, when Opt+Shift did not work, it has always been the case that people held the wrong key combination.

• Option key = Alt = ⌥
  • Shift key = ⇧

Are you really holding exactly these two keys? (And none of ⇪ Caps Lock, ⌘ Command, ⌤ Control.)

Still no dice? Please go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard > Modifier Keys and click the button Restore Defaults, then try again:

I’m facing similar issues.

Currently using Glyphs Version 2.6.6 (1350).

I first noticed that speed-punk was not working after uninstalling and re-installing it (on Catalina). Tried updating Glyphs to the cutting-edge version. Tried uninstalling-reinstalling the plugin to check if it shows up. It didn’t.

In the spirit of updating, I updated to Big Sur as-well. Then Glyphs started crashing. Opt+Shift did the trick. I’ve currently uninstalled all the plugins.

Crash report :

Can you please send the crash report as a text file?

Speedpunk should work in Glyphs 2 again.

Here’s the text file of the crash report :
Problem Report_24 Dec 2020.txt.zip (138.9 KB)

I tried using this again today on the system that has Big Sur installed. I also Installed the latest update for glyphs. The preview panel doesn’t open. It hangs. If I open Glyphs with the preview panel enabled, I can’t open the font file.

I installed Mag Os Big Sur and plugin manager seems not to work as it crashes all the time.
It is a MacBook Pro processor Intel
A report has been send yesterday (saturday the 16. january)

Can you try the latest cutting edge version (activate it in Preferences > Updates)

I did but still… new report send

I found your crash report. The crash was when running a script in the Macro window? And any reason you didn’t install the latest version of Big Sur?

Hi, I am using Glyph3 on Big Sur 1.1. The app keeps crashing when doing simple tasks such as moving handles or shapes. It seems that it crashes most of the time when moving handles while viewing Speedpunk.
Few weeks back, after installing some plugins (word-o-mat, scrambler, speedpunk, stem thickness) the app didn’t open at all so I deleted completely to reinstall. Now although the app opens, plugins work, the crashing persists and crashes very very often.
In my preferences, I have checked both boxes for updates and set python version to 3.9.1. Not sure if these informations are relevant…
Any help would be great, thanks!!

The crashing is still with the plugins. What version of Glyphs do you have?

I added some new debugging options to help finding the problems with the plugins. With version 3053 the crash reports will tell me what plugins was causing the crash. And if you run this;
Glyphs.defaults["DebugReporters"] = True
in the macro window, the Console.app can tell you what plugin caused the crash. Glyphs will print a lot lines like this:

Glyphs.app: DebugReporter: PixelPreview (1) >> OK
Glyphs.app: DebugReporter: ShowClassMembers (1) >> OK
Glyphs.app: DebugReporter: ShowClassMembers (1) >> OK

And if there is a crash, find the last line. If it doesn’t has a “OK” at the end, it will tell us the plugin that crashed.

Hi Georg,
Thanks for your quick response.
I’m not sure if I’m doing correctly what you asked me to try but here’s what I got.

First, when I ran that line in the macro window:

Then, on the Console, this appeared:

Does this help…?
Thanks again!

That are three different things. The error in the macro window are from the Stem Thickness plugin. And the Console stuff is unrelated.

Put
Glyphs.app: DebugReporter:
in the search field in the top right of the Console.app. That should only show the relevant entries. And you need to restart Glyphs after setting the default. And the output is only relevant just after a crash.

I’m having the same issue on macOS Big Sur 11.2.2 with Glyphs 3.0.2 (3058).

Apparently, I have python installed via Homebrew (3.8.8 and 3.9.2), when launching Glyphs I get the message that the PyObjcC module is missing. So I installed the python module in Glyphs and in the preferences I switched to the Glyphs python version 3.8.2. However, Glyphs is not launching any more now (only with plugins disabled).

error_log.txt.zip (31.8 KB)

Can you try to install the latest cutting edge version. To get Glyphs running long enough, you hold down the Option and Shift key when you start the app (that disables plugins that cause this crash). The enable “Preferences > Updates > Show Cutting edge versions” and click check for updates.

That did fix it for me. Thanks a lot!!

Hi There! Not sure if my problem is related – or if any one else experienced a similar issue on Big Sur (v.11.3.1) – but for me, Glyphs (3.0.3 [3083]) crashes whenever I try to hit the “preferences” on a MacBook Air (M1)… Any tips on how to fix that?

Thanks!