Glyphs 3 - Paste vectors

Hi, I’ve noticed that If I copy a vector shape from Adobe Illustrator it does not paste into Glyphs.
I’ve tried using a new glyphs document.
It still works in Glyphs 2.
Is this a bug?

Jamie

Are you on Big Sur? I could get it to work by changing the clipboard settings back and forth in Illustrator. But that didn’t work for another user. It seems to be an issue with Illustrator. You can’t copy paste to Preview.app, either.

I’m still on Catalina. Could the settings from Glyphs 2 be replicated?

There shouldn’t be a difference between the code in Glyphs 2 and 3. Could you send me the .ai file that I can test this?

I literally just tried with a box (the simplest path I could make) without a stroke.

What have you set in the Clipboard settings in Illustrator?

Ah, ‘Include SVG code’ was checked. I unchecked it and - it worked!
Thanks.
Strange that Glyphs 2 wasn’t sensitive to it.

Try switching it back to SVG. It works in all three states when I switch back and forth.

It is pasting some items from AI but not everything. (I’m on 3.0.3 (3062))

I drew a simple rectangle with no stroke.
SVG on: G2 pasted fine, G3 would not paste.
SVG off: G2 pasted fine, G3 now would not paste either.

I selected a whole load of vector shapes
SVG on: G2 pasted fine, G3 pasted some items
SVG off: G2 pasted fine, G3 pasted some items

I couldn’t figure out what the items pasting to G3 had in common. Paths running on both directions came through.

If it helps, I’m pretty sure something has changed in the way items are pasted to Glyphs. In the past, regardless of stroke effect in AI, Glyphs would simply paste the basic shape. Now, if there is a stroke applied in AI, Glyphs pastes the two strokes that describe the stroke width.
It was better when just the basic shape came through.

can you send one of the example where G3 would only get some items?

Hi George,

I’m not sure where we got to with this but pasting into Glyphs from Adobe Illustrator is still acting weird.

Pasting into Glyphs used to ignore attributes like line widths and fills but these are now being brought through and outlined. However, a vector line with no Illustrator attributes doesn’t paste at all.

AI vector line with no stroke or fill : Nothing is pasted.
AI vector line with a fill: Pasted with fill outlined (with path now closed).
AI vector line with an illustrator stroke: Stroke is outlined.

Can it go back to the old way where regardless of the line attributed in AI, Glyphs pastes just the underlying vector?

The stroke and fill support is a new feature in Glyphs 3. But is should work when there are no attributes. Can you send me an example .ai file?

Sure will do…

I work with Glyphs 2. With Illustrator I was not so happy with the results. copy + paste data from Affinity Designer, instead, was applied 1:1. All points clean as in Designer. The costs are low, why not, I switched.

1 Like

I had a look at your file. Thanks for it. It seem, that the method I use to parse the data from Illustrator (the PDF parser from MacOS), is ignoring the none printing paths. So for now, give it an outline and remove the stroke afterwards.

Ah, thanks for this. Will do.

Hi,
I have the same problem with Glyphs 3, updated to the last version, and Illustrator in my MacBook PRO M1.
When I try to paste from Illustrator to Glyphs appears the color wheel and I have to quit Glyphs.
I try to copy-paste from Illustrator to InDesign/Affinity Designer and then from InDesign/Affinity Desinger to Glyphs and works fine.
Also I open an AI file in Affinity Designer and copy-paste to Glyphs and, again, works fine.
Somehow the copy-paste from Illustrator to Glyphs is broken.

Can you please run this script in the Glyphs Macro panel after you copied something in Illustrator. And then send me that result (it should be quite a bit text, so put it in a .txt file and attach it here.

from AppKit import NSPasteboard
pasteboard = NSPasteboard.generalPasteboard()
for item in pasteboard.pasteboardItems():
	print("__item:", item)
	for t in item.types():
		print("__type:", t)
		print(item.dataForType_(t))

Which exact version of Illustrator are you running?

Glyphs-paste-ai.txt.zip (1.7 KB)

I just tested mine again after not trying for a while. Most pastes ok. Glyphs is outlining strokes with a width profile in AI which it never used to. I’m after the underlying vector.

I’m on AI 25.2.3 / Glyphs 3.0.5 (3112)