Glyphs 3 / Python 3 / M1

I finally got stuff running. I had forgotten how many stuff I needed to istall before doing anything… Anyway, the below is what I had to do to a M1 Mac with Big Sur in order to use Python scripts in Glyphs 3:

Glyphs 3 uses Python 3, so you need 1. Python 3.x as well as 2. pyobjc Python module installed in it.

Glyphs 3 has an option to “Install Python Runtime” from the Scripts menu, which enables you to select Python 3.8.2 from Preferences > Addons after restart. However, Scripts menu does not show the scripts installed inside the “Library > Application Support > Glyphs 3 > Scripts” folder and I don’t know why. Once I installed Pyhton 3.9.1 separately, then the scripts started to show up. To do that, you need to download the package below and run the installer.
https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.9.1/python-3.9.1-macos11.0.pkg
(Note: the latest version is recommended. The latest is 3.9.5 as of this additional note.)

This is not enough however, as you will see an error in the Macro window when you run a script, due to the lack of pyobjc Python module. In order to install pyobjc, you need XCode Command Line Tools first (if you skip, the “pip3 install” command will fail). Run the following on Terminal:
xcode-select --install

After this, you can run the following on Terminal:
pip3 install pyobjc

Hurray! Now you should be able to enjoy scripts! Glyphs 3 may need to be restarted after all this.

5 Likes