Install modules

I’m trying to install the Vanilla, Robofab and FontTools using the button under addons > modules.
the wheel spins and some moments later stops. I don’t think anything was installed since the ‘Install Modules’ button is still there.

If it stops spinning and you do not see an error message, everything went well. But you are right, there probably should be some indicator that modules are available. The button needs to stay there though, because you may want to reinstall.

how do I know if I’m using Python 2.7?

You type and run this.

help()

If it returns this:

Welcome to Python 2.7!  This is the online help utility.

If this is your first time using Python, you should definitely check out
the tutorial on the Internet at http://docs.python.org/2.7/tutorial/.

… and so on, then you are running 2.7.

thanks Erik, it was actually DrawBot that was missing, the plugin i was using was giving me an incorrect error.

If it stops spinning and you do not see an error message, everything went well. 

This is false, as in my case the modules are not yet installed.
I am also attempting via Terminal to no avail. Correct me if I am wrong but RoboFab is not installing as it is dependent on FontTools.
Working with Python 2.7, so adjusted the sudo commands accordingly

sudo python2.7 setup.py install

This is the latest error

xcrun: error: invalid active developer path (/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools), missing xcrun at: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/xcrun

Any ideas most welcome.
Thanks

You can install the modules from the preferences.

The Preferences > Addons method has also been attempted and also does not work. When I try to run scripts dependent on RoboFab I receive errors in the macro window.

What errors do you get?

Start
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “BubbleKern.py”, line 19, in
from robofab.interface.all.dialogs import AskString, AskYesNoCancel # for getting Save As name and Cancel
ImportError: No module named robofab.interface.all.dialogs
End

To reiterate, I’m having trouble installing modules both from In App and via Terminal. Any ideas on this issue please?

Can you paste this in the Macro window, press Run, and tell us what the output is?

import sys, os, math
print "-- System: %s" % sys.version
print "-- OS: %s; %s" % ( os.name, os.uname() )
for infoKey in ("CFBundleShortVersionString", "CFBundleVersion"):
	print "-- App %s: %s" % ( infoKey, NSBundle.bundleForClass_(GSMenu).infoDictionary().objectForKey_(infoKey) ) 
import vanilla
print "-- Vanilla: %s" % vanilla

Can you post a screenshot from your side packages folder: /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages

This is the output:

– System: 2.7.10 (default, Aug 22 2015, 20:33:39)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 7.0.0 (clang-700.0.59.1)]
– OS: posix; (‘Darwin’, ‘iMac.local’, ‘15.0.0’, ‘Darwin Kernel Version 15.0.0: Sat Sep 19 15:53:46 PDT 2015; root:xnu-3247.10.11~1/RELEASE_X86_64’, ‘x86_64’)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 5, in
NameError: name ‘NSBundle’ is not defined

Georg, the Python folder is absent, there is just the Python_Installs folder

Make sure to look in the library folder in Macintosh HD and not in your user folder.

Which OS is that? Yosemite?
I had a mistake in the code you were supposed too paste, can you try again with this one:

from AppKit import * 
import GlyphsApp, sys, os, math
print "-- System: %s" % sys.version
print "-- OS: %s; %s" % ( os.name, os.uname() )
for infoKey in ("CFBundleShortVersionString", "CFBundleVersion"):
	print "-- App %s: %s" % ( infoKey, NSBundle.bundleForClass_(GSMenu).infoDictionary().objectForKey_(infoKey) ) 
import vanilla
print "-- Vanilla: %s" % vanilla

Ah thank you Georg, you highlighted the issue. I had previously moved an FDK folder from the desktop, which the installation couldn’t find.

(Also FYI, this is the newer output)

– OS: posix; (‘Darwin’, ‘iMac.local’, ‘15.0.0’, ‘Darwin Kernel Version 15.0.0: Sat Sep 19 15:53:46 PDT 2015; root:xnu-3247.10.11~1/RELEASE_X86_64’, ‘x86_64’)
– App CFBundleShortVersionString: 2.2.1
– App CFBundleVersion: 819
– Vanilla: <module ‘vanilla’ from ‘/Users/John/Library/Application Support/Glyphs/Plugins/Yanone/SpeedPunk.glyphsTool/Contents/Resources/vanilla/init.pyc’>
– App CFBundleShortVersionString: 2.2.1
– App CFBundleVersion: 819
– Vanilla: <module ‘vanilla’ from ‘/Users/John/Library/Application Support/Glyphs/Plugins/Yanone/SpeedPunk.glyphsTool/Contents/Resources/vanilla/init.pyc’>

Can you try and update to the latest stable version 2.2.2? If the update menu item doesn’t yield a result, please redownload the app from glyphsapp.com/buy and run the update again.

Hi there, I have the same problem. Could you help us.

– System: 2.7.10 (default, Oct 23 2015, 18:05:06)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 7.0.0 (clang-700.0.59.5)]
– OS: posix; (‘Darwin’, ‘Martin-Vacha.local’, ‘15.3.0’, ‘Darwin Kernel Version 15.3.0: Thu Dec 10 18:40:58 PST 2015; root:xnu-3248.30.4~1/RELEASE_X86_64’, ‘x86_64’)
– App CFBundleShortVersionString: 2.2.2
– App CFBundleVersion: 827
– Vanilla: <module ‘vanilla’ from ‘/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/vanilla/init.py’>

Have you tried pressing the Install Module button in Glyphs > Preferences > Addons > Modules?