Modules Installation

I’m a potential new user; I have installed Glyphs, activated the trial and updated to the latest beta (RC) version (1141). I’ve been attempting to install the Modules through the Preferences–>Addons.
But nothing seems to happen and nothing has been added to the Glyphs --> Application Support folder. I’ve successfully installed some plugins and I’ve downloaded some Scripts repositories to install; but some require Vanilla and/or other modules.

In other related threads I’ve found instructions to manually install Vanilla which I’ve done.

However, certain plugins fail to load (with the most likely reason being: lack of dependencies. I did not find instructions on where to find the other modules nor how to install them…

I’m hoping someone can offer me guidance/direction…?

I have discovered that I am getting an error message in the Console when I click the [Install] button in Preferences–>Addons that says:

Glyphs[xxx]: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "InstallLibraries.py", line 76, in <module>
  File "InstallLibraries.py", line 57, in downloadLib
  File "InstallLibraries.py", line 38, in downloadFile
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 154, in urlopen
    return opener.open(url, data, timeout)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 431, in open
    response = self._open(req, data)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 449, in _open
    '_open', req)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 409, in _call_chain
    result = func(*args)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 1240, in https_open
    context=self._context)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 1197, in do_open
    raise URLError(err)
URLError: <urlopen error [SSL: TLSV1_ALERT_PROTOCOL_VERSION] tlsv1 alert protocol version (_ssl.c:590)>

I don’t know if that might be helpful…?

Anything that might help me get the modules installed would be awesome!

Thank you!

PS I’ve been a somewhat frustrated user of Fontlab Studio 5 (and Fontlab VI for a while) without many other viable options until I got this used Mac. It is running Yosemite. I’ve had several people advise me not to upgrade to High Sierra but it doesn’t seem possible to upgrade to any other version so I’m kind of stuck here until I’m able to do enough research to make an informed decision.
I’ve been quite interested in Glyphs for quite a while so I’m quite anxious to get started!

I have found some helpful and information in other threads, but not enough to get everything running & installed.

I forgot to mention that the output in the macro panel shows that Vanilla is installed. All the red text references several plugins that seem to be missing dependencies…

How can I tell for sure if RoboFab & FontTools have been successfully installed? I’m assuming they have not been; but that is only based on the errors with the plugins and the Console message (which may not be good indicators).

Some kind of feedback regarding what has been installed (and where), and anything that has not been installed would be really helpful. I know that’s been mentioned, but apparently not by enough people… Although there seem to be a number of similar threads.

If the installation of moduls doesn’t work you can try this: Manually installing vanilla module

Thank you for your response!

I have gotten Vanilla installed successfully.

Your response didn’t say anything about RoboFab or FontTools. Am I correct to assume that means that they are not as important, and that they are not needed/used by plugins/scripts like Vanilla? Does that mean that I don’t need to worry about installing them?

Thank you!

Most scripts/plugins only use vanilla. But the installation of the other two is very similar, so you can figure that out yourself if needed. :wink:

I am getting the same Console error for Glyphs.

It looks like it’s due to the fact that the System Python is being used (I’m running on Yosemite) which is using an obsolete version of the security protocol, but it can not be updated.

I have Python installed with Homebrew. How do I get Glyphs to use the one I installed- which has updated protocols?

Thank you!

Install vanilla in the Scripts folder: Manually installing vanilla module