Place Font on Hebrew Font List

I created a multilingual font (Latin, Cyrillic & Hebrew) and want it to appear in the font menu (on Illustrator, Photoshop etc.) on the Hebrew font list. Not the Latin list. How do I achieve this?

Remove the latin ;). Adobe apps use some heuristics what language is the most important.

Is there no way in Glyphsapp for a Hebrew+Latin font to appear in the Hebrew menu list other than to remove the Latin??
I’ve created Hebrew+Latin fonts in FontLab that appear in the Hebrew menu. There must be a way in Glyphs…

The heuristics adobe uses are not published AFAIK. So you would have to ask someone at the adobe InDesign team and hope for an answer. I thought at one point that it had something to do with the supported codepages (a custom parameter in Glyphs), but I could not reproduce it reliably, probably it was just one factor.

In FontLab there was a place in the font options where I could edit the Encoding and Character sets:
http://bit.ly/1PQEZm7 I think that was what determined where the font was located on the list. I would put Hebrew first and it seemed to work.

Have you tried the unicodeRanges parameter in File > Font Info > Font > CustomParameters?

Doesn’t work.
I’ve sent you a Hebrew+Latin font I’ve created in FontLab 3 years ago that appears in the Hebrew section on Adobe’s font list.
Perhaps it can give a clue on how to achieve this on Glyphsapp?

Okay thanks, will have a look.

I could export a version of your font (I named it BBB, see screenshot), and it is listed amongst the Hebrew typefaces in InD CC:

All I did was set File > Font Info > Font > Custom Parameters > Unicode Ranges to Hebrew only:

I tried it myself and didn’t do anything to the font, just exported from the original source and both, the old and the new file show up in the hebrew section.

Did you export the font “Taamula”? I can’t get this font to show up in the Hebrew list…

I had a look. One aspect seems to be how much none Hebrew you have. If you disable all Cyrillic and all but Basic and Western Latin the font will show in the hebrew section.
Maybe you need to ask on typedrawers.com.

This is probably your best best. Several Adobe employees and their contractors use Typedrawers, so someone might have an answer. I guarantee you that you’re not the only person who wants this question answered!

1 Like

John Hudson mentioned something on a mailing list. It involved some CMAP hacks. I’m not sure if that is easily possible with makeOTF.

Thanks. Hebrew fonts nowadays include additional languages, and I’ve been recently getting more and more complaints from our customers about this issue - they want all their Hebrew fonts on the Hebrew list. I’m sure this is a issue with other languages. It is necessary to have the ability to control this. Thanks for the help.

On problem with putting the font in the Hebrew list is that the font is less usable for the “other” scripts. If I need a Latin or Cyrillic font I’m not likely to look in the nine Latin list at the bottom of the font menu.

Yes but 99% of the people who use this font use it for it’s Hebrew letters. The font designer should be able to determine if it’s a Hebrew or a Latin or a Cyrillic font.

The font designer should be able to determine if it’s a Hebrew or a Latin or a Cyrillic font.

That doesn’t mean the font designer has any control over what undocumented features of third-party software do.

This raises the issue of multiple language typefaces usage … Which I believe the only benefit of having several scripts in one typeface is to save time of frequent jumps to Fonts Menu while working with a certain software. Eventually if you refer to the Adobe resolution, they merely did not combine them together; thus you have them separately:
MyriadPro
Myriad Hebrew
Myriad Arabic
and
Adobe Hebrew
Adobe Arabic
etc.
Also the early famous Winsoft multilingual Typeface serving several Non-Latin scripts, does not show under other than Latin Fonts list…

Another option, which previously useful, is the possibility to display Fonts in the menu by their native naming in corresponding to language (I do not mean WYSIWYG); That was in MS Office and Apple Software… But I do not know if Glyphs offer multi-script naming of a typeface.

On other aspect I’m wondering if Font Management utilities such as Font Explorer have the option to re-arrange font menu according to user preferences!! A designer may have the tools to define where his font would be listed but the end-user should be given the right to manage his fonts lists as he desires.

It does. There are custom parameters for that.

That would mean that the font manager would need to change the font file as there are no APIs in the system (at least not on MacOS) that allow to do that.