Plugin Concept — Radial Shortcut Menu

Bonjour,

I discovered a really interesting feature in Blender called “Pie Menu” .
It’s a circular menu that appears when you press a keyboard shortcut, which makes it easier to access certain features.

(Pie Menu in Blender)

I tried to find an equivalent to adding it to MacOs, but it seems that doesn’t exist.
So I thought of something that could be a Glyphs Plugin.

I already add some custom keyboard shortcuts for the script/filter that I used most, sometimes few scripts are not used frequently enough to be assigned to a keyboard shortcut, but we would like to access them more quickly than going through the script menu.

In this case, Radial Shortcut Menu [Plugin] could be a really efficient tool.
I did two animations to show how it could be work in the Glyph environment and how it could be set up.

Radial-Menu-Popup Concept Part1_1

Radial-Menu-Popup Concept Part2

The idea is to use paths from Glyph Menu to customized shortcuts in the setting window.
In the animation, they are 8 sections, but we could imagine an option to increase the number of sections an option to display a secondary menu with 8 additional sections.

I am not experienced enough with coding and interface to code this tool.
If someone is interested in this conceptual tool and would like to help in the development, you are welcome!

10 Likes

I like that idea very much!

After some reflection, I think a circle interface could be difficult to code, so instead of this circle, we could have a standard script window, with 8 buttons inside to activate something.

Ideally, the window would open centered on the cursor position (like in the visual)
We could have a second script to configure it, accessible with the gear wheel.

In this second script, we could assign for each button a specific action, and we could save preset and switch from between them from the gear wheel panel.

The original circular window is not difficult :wink: Drawing the diagonal text needs a tiny bit math.

One thing that will not work exactly as planned is that the windows appear in the same spot.

However… it could be done if:

• the shortcuts trigger Python snippets (instead of menu entries)
  • the Python snippets either call the function directly (e.g. Add Extremes), or
  • the Python snippets set the window prefs based on the current cursor position, effectively moving the window, and then trigger the menu command (not exactly sure how I’d do that in Python though).

If you have a Wacom, it has a Radial menu to which you can assign shortcuts

Might be interesting to test if it works without a pen:

I never saw this thread. Great idea.
The original poster, Hugo, just pointed me to it, thanks!

As of today there is something similar: ‘Script Deck’ plugin.

(PDF manual)

Now that I see this thread, I remember that Procreate utilizes a similar round menu. I myself can work quite well with Script Deck as is, but this round layout might be something to consider for near future updates. Just putting my notes for the record of future me here.

1 Like