Snap to grid when export to otf

If I export a font made with the grid set to 0 it automatically exports the otf to grid spacing 1 and makes my nodes snap to the grid.

Is it possible for the nodes to have fractional values and not snap to grid when exporting to otf?

What exactly are your settings in Font Info > Other, and what are your export settings?

Instead of doing 0/1 for Grid/Subdivision, consider 1/100.

Your setting should export the nodes with fractional coordinates. How did you test this/where did you see the rounding?

I set my grid to 1/100 and export as otf. And when I open the otf in Glyphs the grid is set to 1/1.

The reason I’m opening my otf in glyphs is because I receive 2 error messages when uploading to Monotype. And if I select all of my glyphs & apply ‘correct path direction’ and ‘remove overlap’ in my original glyph document it does not solve those errors.

But if I open the otf in Glyphs and apply ‘correct path direction’ and ‘remove overlap’ then the errors are fixed in Monotype.

The grid numbers are not stored in the .otf file anywhere. So it can’t be restored.

You should set up your masters and export settings that they produce correct results when you first error them. It might be that errors from the Validator are caused by the fact that the outlines have fractional coordinates. Did you reset the 1/100 grid before you “corrected” the imported glyphs? Because if not, those operations will round all coordinates.

Agree. Reopening an OTF and reexporting it is a bad idea. It will not be the same font. Better find the issues in the original file. There are plenty of scripts out there for analyzing paths (e.g. the Path Problem Finder in the mekkablue scripts) and finding things that can be fixed.

Okay, I’ll try and fix the master file instead of opening the otf.

I ran the ‘Path Problem Finder’ and it opened a tab with faulty glyphs. I closed the tab and now it won’t reopen the tab when I run the script ‘Path Problem Finder’ again. Is there any way I can reopen the tab.

Also, is there a script specifically for finding intersecting paths?

And, how do I find out which glyphs do not have the correct winding directions? Because if I apply “correct path directions” to all of my glyphs I still receive an error when uploading it to Monotype.

Running it again should open a new tab. The script should give you a message if it fails. If there is an error, it will be displayed in Window > Macro Panel.

Can you post a screenshot of such an intersection? These are usually not a problem because outline overlaps are removed at export. That is, unless you do something highly complex. What do your outlines look like? Can you post a sample?

As I said, there might be no real intersections, just that the validator can’t handle the floating point coordinates.

Why do you use the smaller grid?

I opened the Macro Panel and the tab finally appeared. Thanks.

I do not have a screenshot of intersection paths because I do not know which glyph it is. I was hoping there would be a script that would tell me which glyph has an intersecting path.

I use a smaller grid because I do not want my nodes to snap to the grid. What grid size would you recommend? Would 1/10 be better?

I also tried running the script from this thread but it gave me an error. Do you have a new version of the script?

Whatever works for you.

Can you please send me the .glyphs file to support (at) (this website without ‘www’ or ‘forum’). I will have a look.

Thanks for all the help @mekkablue @GeorgSeifert I’ll take it from here.

This is exactly the same issue I ran into not too long ago. It was also a problem uploading to Monotype/Myfonts.

As far as I know there is no solution, other than designing in Glyphs on the 1/1 grid, or accepting unexpected outcomes after exporting to otf even if the grid is 1/10 or 1/100.