Standard ligatures & Unicode

Hi everyone!

I received a file from other person and f_f ligature has his unicode. It was named /ff so I decide to change his name to f_f and the unicode value has gone. I think that this is happening because It’s not recomendable to replace characters in features and Glyphs prevent this. But, it’s okay to pack fonts without the unicode version of f_f and f_i?

What is your opinion? Should I remove all unicode value from Standard ligatures included in Unicode? (/f_f /f_i /f_f_i /f_l /f_f_l)

If you don’t have a specific requirement to support some old software you should remove the unicodes.

Thanks!
I think i will remove them. But, in case I need them later, its possible to add Unicode values?

Best regards.

To add them, temporarily check the box “Don’t use nice names” in Font Info > Other. Then you can enter the unicode in the info box in the font view.

I’ve just received a request to add unicode codepoints to the encodable ligatures in Cormorant. The person in question is using LibreOffice and couldn’t get discretionary ligatures to work, so he tried entered uniFB06 to access the /s_t ligature directly. This didn’t work, since Glyphs stores my ligatures as unencoded (even f_i.liga etc.).

I figured I could add duplicates of my existing ligatures into the font under the appropriate uni**** name, but that didn’t seem to work. Glyphs did produce duplicate characters for almost all of the ligatures (except /s_t, which it said was already present in the font), but most of them were still lacking their unicode value. For instance, I added uniFB05, but Glyphs just generated /longs_t instead, without an associated unicode value.

Could we get Glyphs to recognize /s_t etc. as an encodable ligature and assign it its correct unicode value?

you need to set “Use Custom naming” in font info. Then you can add the unicodes the the “f_i.liga” glyph.

The “f_i” will end up in the liga feature by default so you don’t need to add the “.liga” suffix. And if you change the name to “fi”, it will get a unicode automatically. This also works for the “f_l”.

Great, that worked! Thanks! :smile: