The secrets of calligraphy!

I asked in the past to know some of the things in arabic font related to some of the glyphs (U+0600, U+0602, U+0600, U+06DD).Is there new?

I could not find your question in the archive. What is it that you wanted to know?

watch this video

It doesn’t load for me. Can you try quickcast maybe?

mediafire

Reminder Please pay attention

I watched the video. Can you please tell us what your question is?

What is the method of producing this form with these characters in GlyphsApp.

I guess it is done via contextual kerning.

Confirm that this method is used, but what is the interpretation of some extended characters!

I can’t see the video from a table, but are you asking about kashida?

Interpretation? You mean which glyph name? Look inside the font and see which Unicode it has. I don’t think I have the font.

No asking about kashida.

Please Watch this video.

The movie does not play for me, unfortunately.

Try here

But that is the same video as before. Whatever. Have you tried to solve it with contextual kerning?

contextual kerning not work with arabic!

Hi @iSkyFalConS,

Maybe you should try some contextual alternatives as @mekkablue suggested.

I will give you a hint:

First, declare your glyph classes, one set of numbers with the bar below and the other without it:

@num = [ one two three four five six seven eight nine zero ]; 
@num_with_line = [ one.line two.line three.line four.line five.line six.line seven.line eight.line nine.line zero.line ];
@num_without_line = [ one.noLine two.noLine three.noLine four.noLine five.noLine six.noLine seven.noLine eight.noLine nine.noLine zero.noLine ];

Then, make the easy substitution with the straight glyph:

lookup beginning {
	lookupflag IgnoreMarks RightToLeft;
	sub baseGlyphs @num' by @num_with_line;
} beginning;

lookup ending {
	lookupflag IgnoreMarks RightToLeft;
	sub @num_with_line @num' by @num_with_line;
} ending;

Now, for the glyphs that have a curve, you need to draw few different glyph lengths, then you can try something like this:

sub baseGlyphsFixedWithd' @num_without_line @num_without_line @num_without_line @num_without_line @num_without_line @num_without_line by baseGlyphsFixedWithd.lenght02;
sub baseGlyphsFixedWithd' @num_without_line @num_without_line @num_without_line @num_without_line by baseGlyphsFixedWithd.lenght01;  

That is the principle for some ornaments that I wrote for a font, you can see the video here.

Best,

Nicolás

1 Like

Thanks Nicolás, this method is good but it is inefficient, Publishing and printing companies used those symbols, “as before,” and they have a number of books that are quote them with to change the font, size, color just does not field they have to modify or replace their approach as proposed.