Proper Font Family Naming from an OTF file

Hello friends,

I’d like to know how to properly erase the metadata from a font, which was previously generated from a different font software and then imported into Glyphs?

Specific example:

A font, e.g. MyFontFamily with only one instance Black , that was supposedly exported from Fontlab and then imported as OTF file into Glyphs. When exported from there — without any custom parameter — it appears within the Adobe environment with Font family name MyFontFamily Black and Font style Black , instead of the proper Font Family name MyFontFamily and Font style Black .

There is a kind of work around to give it a proper name representaiton by setting a few custom parameters, such as:

• Update (Here I have to mention the lines as they were written in this post were not entirely correct, at postscriptFullName it was stated MyFontFamily **Black** where Black was needless)

postscriptFullName: MyFontFamily Black
    postscriptFontName: MyFontFamily-Black
    preferredFamilyName: MyFontFamily
    preferredSubfamilyName: Black

Where the first two lines (Postscript lines) affect the font representation everywhere and the second two lines — specifically within the Adobe environment. However I don’t know if this is the proper solution or only a halfway done one? I think thus I overwrite the medatada, but is there a way to entirely delete it?

Thanks in advance!
N.

04%20PM

Just removing all custom name-parameter should help.

Well, that doesn’t solve the problem. In fact, it gives the same result.
As I mentioned above:

When exported from [Glyphs] — without any custom parameters — it appears within the Adobe environment with Font family name MyFontFamily Black and Font style Black , instead of the proper Font Family name MyFontFamily and Font style Black .

1. Here the screenshot from the font without any custom parameters :
21%20PM

As you can see the outcome is identical.

2. The proper rendering comes with all the 4 custom parameters
(Here I have to mention the lines as they were written in the previous post were not entirely correct, at postscriptFullName it was stated MyFontFamily Black where Black was needless) :

postscriptFullName: MyFontFamily

09%20PM

3. It is correct also with the Postscript lines:

Screen%20Shot%202018-11-19%20PS%20Full%20names

4. If only the Preferred names lines are written the result is not accurate:

Screen%20Shot%202018-11-19%20PreferredName

Again, my questions are whether this is the proper solution or only a halfway done one? I suppose in a such a way I overwrite the medatada, but is there a way to entirely delete it?

Thanks in advance!
N.

can you send me a sample file?

1 Like

When I export your file from the latest cutting edge version (1184), it works fine.

Thank you, Georg!
When you export it do you apply any custom parameters?
Because when I export it from the cutting edge version (1184) without any custom parameters it gives again the MyFontFamily Black where Black is not desired.

It gives the proper naming MyFontFamily with the custom parameters:

So the question is do I overwrite the naming medata properly or I do it halfway? And is there such metadata at whole?

The strange thing is that without custom parameters it gives proper result in InDesign, but in Illustrator it stays wrong.

I never saw that “Black” as you show in the screenshots. Are you sure you don’t have a cache problem?

A similar issue was discussed here, but did not have a full resolution: Regular style name repeated in Family name

1 Like

Georg, it is not caused by the cache as I tried it several times, also after applying the script to clean the font cache.

Adam, I see it releates more to the Adobe Illustrator product and looks like the issue is still present nowadays.

I guess I would stick to the custom parameters (as stated within the post) and hope that the metadata would be thisway completely overwritten:

At any case thank you guys for participating into this topic!

Best,
Nikolay

I’ve set my new family up with the custom parameters too and this appears to solve most of the cases (including the Illustrator repeat of “Regular” or “Light” or whatever weight), though when I just tested it in Word it does include all of the font names correctly (family and sub style/weight) but it has them all weighted the same and shows checkmarks next to each, like they’re all selected too.

In other words, if I try to change weights for text I type in the document it doesn’t do it and the preview sample in the font menu shows them as all the same weight. The Adobe apps and Mac apps do correctly display the different weights though in the menus and when typing.

If I don’t include any naming custom parameters and install the fonts, then Word shows the different weights (almost) correctly, but it tends to leave a weight missing and the main issue of “Regular” being part of the family name is also present here.

Anyone else run into this or any thoughts? I know Word is difficult.

Which Word for which system? Mac Word?

Did you sent weightClass and stye linking properly? Did you try simply without custom parameters?

Mac Word 2008 … on macOS Mojave.

Yes, I believe set everything correctly, and I’m not sure if this answers the question about simply without custom parameters… or if I’m misunderstanding.

If I simply try without custom parameters, then the original issue of the weight showing up in the family name for Illustrator and Mac Word is still present for a single font. It takes care of part of it if installing more than one font in the family or an italic, but if someone just installs one weight (e.g. Light) you get something like “MyFont Light > Light” as Petrusenik notes above.

Do I need to set a custom parameter for weightClass too? I have the weights/name set in the options for each instance.

Why do you test in such an old version? Did the client request it?

It’s what I have installed on my machine, no request, just don’t have anything newer. Maybe I’m hoping for compatibility too far back? But I’ve had it work it work in the past with other fonts I’ve created with Glyphs and installed.

Can you send me the file?

Did you try in a fresh user? Otherwise you cannot exclude Word cache problems.

Did not try as a different user or computer (don’t have one readily available at the moment).

Georg, sending the file now.

For reference, here’s what it looks like in the Word menu (just a temp working name to test it out). You can see all the weights appear the same and are checked: (It works in other apps properly.)

40%20PM

Here’s Futura for example in the Word menu. Different weights shown and one checked at a time:

33%20PM

UPDATE:

Just tried with a new version name for testing (F instead of E) and same issue appears but Word (randomly?) chose a different weight (Hairline) to display this time:

55%20PM

If I install just one font from the family (Black in this case), it displays correctly:

41%20PM

Please do, this is paramount if you want to test for compatibility with Word. You can create a new user in System Preferences.